If you are looking for Orbit Tower tickets, we have the up to date information you need right here.
The first thing you need to know is that the Orbit Tower won’t be permanently opened up to the public for tours until the year 2014, after the Olympics venues have been transformed or removed for the legacy and the South Plaza is re-opened.
From the end of July 2012 however, up until after the Olympics and Paralympics, visitors will be able to access the structure including the viewing platform, although no facilities will be open there, so it’s just for the panoramic views across London’s skyline.
These tickets will cost £15 and £7 for children, Anish Kapoor announced on the BBC Radio 4 Today programme, May 11th.
“This thing has to be paid for,” he told the BBC, “but there’s a push to keep that cost as low as possible.”
Access to the Orbit Tower can be obtained via an Olympic Park Ticket, without needing to have tickets for any of the Olympic Games themselves. So how do you buy Olympic Park tickets? These will be made available at the Olympic Park itself in Stratford, East London and bookable in advance though authorised websites.
Following the official preview in May, the Orbit enters a 10-week period of final fit-out and testing ahead of its opening to the Olympic crowds on 28 July 2012.
Olympic Park Tickets
Olympic Park tickets should be on sale for £10 for adults and £5 for young people and seniors. These tickets will not allow access to any sporting events within the Olympic Park, but will allow ticket holders to experience the atmosphere of the Park and watch sport on the big screens primarily in the first week before the Athletics start. Approximately 70,000 Olympic Park tickets will be available as part of this sale, with further tickets made available closer to the start of the Games.
Total Cost of Orbit Tower Tickets
So to sum up, if you want to climb the Orbit Tower during the London 2012 Olympics, you’ll need to either have acquired tickets for at least one of the sporting events, or buy a general ticket for the Olympic park for £10 adult, £5 child. THEN you have to buy the tickets for the Orbit Tower itself, at £15 for adults, £7 for children so if you are only interested in the sculpture and not the games, it’s still going to cost you at least £25 and £12 to ascend the tower. Then once the games are over, you have to wait until Easter 2014 after the Olympic Park is reburbished to become a more urban Queen Elizabeth 2nd Park. The price of tickets for the Arcellor Mittal Orbit in 2014 has not yet been determined but Anish Kapoor, the Artist has stated he wants it to be “more democratic”.
London Orbit Tower Tickets FAQ
— The Orbit Tower (@OrbitTower) August 4, 2012
Some popular questions which have come up recently:
- Can the general public visit the Olympic Park without a ticket? No.
- Can you go up the olympic tower with no ticket? No.
- What is the red tower next to the olympic stadium? The ArcellorMittal Orbit Tower
- Can I just turn up and get an entry ticket to the olympic park or do I need to pre-book? You need to pre-book online, but you can collect your tickets there.
- Can you go out of the olympic park after going up the orbit? Yes, you can go out. No you cant re-enter if you leave. Your ticket is for one entry, and you can’t leave and come back in again.
- Do I need a separate ticket to stay in the olympic park after visiting the olympic stadium? No, stadium event tickets entitle you to be in the Park.
- Can we apply for tickets to the orbit even if we only have tickets for athletics? Yes, because the athletics are in the Olympic Stadium which is in the Olympic Park. You cannot turn up with tickets for events outside the park though, like the beach volleyball, rowing or football and expect to get in to use your Orbit Tower tickets.
- How close can you get to the orbit in london? Right inside if you have tickets, during the Olympics and Paralympic games. Afterwards you’ll be able to see fairly close up from nearby such as the Westfield Shopping Centre, Stratford Station and even nearer from some housing estates.
- Is there a restaurant at the top of the Orbit Tower? No.
- Where’s my Games Travelcard? Orbit Tower ticket holders do not receive a Games Travelcard because they should already have one with the Olympic Park ticket they purchased for the same day.
- Can I watch the big screens at the olympic stadium without a ticket? Not the ones inside the Olympic Park, but there are sites nearby in Newham and London where you can watch the games on a big screen and soak up the atmosphere for free.
- Do olympic stadium tickets include access to the olympic park? Yes they do.
- Do you need proof of ID to enter the olympic park? Not unless you are taking advantage of special age group concessions in which case you may be asked to produce photo ID to prove your age.
- How early can I enter the olympic park? The Park opens daily at 7.00a.m.