Orbit Tower & Paralympics
The Orbit Tower is open to visitors during the London 2012 Paralympic Games as well as the Olympics.
Dates and Venues for the Paralympics
The Paralympic Games take place between August 30th and September 9th 2012 at the Olympic Park in Stratford as well as in Olympic venues all over London and also at Weymouth and Portland, Brand Hatch and Eton Dorney ( Windsor).
Extra Tickets including Olympic Park Tickets
London Mayor Boris Johnson has revealed that half a million extra Paralympic tickets, including Olympic Park tickets will go on sale from Tuesday August 14th 2012. Or Wednesday 15th. He seemed to rule out the idea of leaving the park open for a while after the Paralympics, but maybe not, depending on how the extra ticket sales go. You can listen to what he said yourself and see how you interpret it:
Athletics events in the Stadium, cycling at the Velodrome and wheelchair tennis have largely sold out, but organisers are reviewing venues to see where more tickets can be made available for the most popular events.
Team GB at the Paralympics
Great Britain came second to China at the Paralympics in Beijing and have been training seriously ever since for London 2012. The home crowd advantage and the ever improving facilities and support for paralympics events and competitors mean that Team GB is expected to even better than the 40 gold medals silver and bronze hauled from Beijing in 2008. The Stratford Olympic Park is well equipped to put on the best Paralympics Games ever, with one paralympian after the rehearsals back in May saying “This is going to be 20 times better than Beijing!”
How to buy Paralympics Tickets with Orbit Tower Tickets
The Orbit Tower is open to visitors with tickets on all of the 12 days of the Paralympics but you will need event tickets or tickets for the Olympic Park for the same day as the Orbit Tickets.
So if you are looking to buy Orbit Tower Tickets and Paralympic Games tickets together this is the order in which you should probably go about it.
1. Check which dates the Orbit Tower has tickets available during the Paraympics. Last time we looked there were some for the following days:
- Thursday August 30th 2012 30/8/12
- Saturday September 8th 2012 8/9/12
but this is changing all the time.
2. Find an event in the Olympic Park on the same day, or see if there are Olympic Park tickets available for that day, then buy these.
For example, using the above dates there appeared to be tickets available for
wheelchair basketball on the 30th August ( Men’s preliminaries and Women’s preliminaries Including Olympic Park day pass: 09:00-22:30 Aug 30 (PXO01) based on availability Session Code: PWB01)
and for Football 7 a side ( Men’s classifications 5th-6th and 7th-8th places Session Code: PFT09) or for the closing ceremony both on September 9th.
There were also £10 Olympic Park day passes on sale for each of the days during the whole of the Paralympics period 29th August – 9th September when we looked just now.
- Thursday 30 August 2012 Goalball + Wheelchair Basketball 09:00-22:30
- Friday 31 August 2012 Football 5-a-side, Goalball + Wheelchair Basketball
- Saturday 01 September 2012 Football 7-a-side, Goalball, Wheelchair Basketball + Wheelchair Tennis 09:00-22:30
- Sunday 02 September 2012 Football 5-a-side, Goalball, Wheelchair Basketball + Wheelchair Tennis 09:00-22:30
- Monday 03 September 2012 Football 7-a-side, Goalball + Wheelchair Basketball 09:00-22:30
- Tuesday 04 September 2012 Football 5-a-side, Goalball, Wheelchair Tennis 09:00-20:45
- Wednesday 05 September 2012 Football 7-a-side, Goalball,Wheelchair Tennis + Wheelchair Rugby 09:00-22:15
- Thursday 06 September 2012 Football 5-a-side, Goalball,Wheelchair Tennis + Wheelchair Rugby 09:00-22:15
- 07 September 2012 Football 7-a-side, Goalball,Wheelchair Tennis + Wheelchair Rugby 09:00-21:35
- Saturday 08 September 2012 Football 5-a-side, Goalball, Wheelchair Rugby 09:00-22:15
again, these can change all the time as fresh tickets become available or are put up for resale on LOCOGs tickets london2012 site. Sometimes the search results in lots of events such as above, but marked “Currently unavailable”. It’s frustrating, I know! One person I know on twitter sat up late one night with three browsers open and three accounts, ready to pounce but LOCOG warns against this, saying it won’t make any difference to your chances of finding tickets as they become available.
3. Go back and buy the Orbit Tower tickets for the same day as the entrance or event tickets you’ve already bought.
That’s the best way to avoid ending up with tickets for the Orbit you can’t use, but even here at the Orbit Tower website we are hoping that watching the fabulous Paralympics event will be your first priority with a ride up the Orbit Tower as a bonus as some point during your day.
Orbit Tower & Paralympics FAQ
- Q Can you visit the Orbit between the Olympics and Paralympics? A No, the Olympic Park is closed between the end of the Olympics on August 12th and the start of the Paralympics on August 29th
- Q Is this an accredited paralympic ticket resale site? A No. We don’t sell any tickets here, we just publish information and advice to help you plan and enjoy your visit to the Olympic Park and Orbit Tower.
- Q Why does it say ‘currently unavailable’ when trying purchase paralympic tickets? It’s maddening isn’t it? The correct answer is ‘Nobody knows’ but it may be because the tickets have become unavailable during the process of searching, selecting, requesting and finally buying, or it may be a caching issue, or just that the tickets website doesn’t really work very well at all.